Sunday, September 23, 2007

"Deliverance" 35th Anniversary DVD Reviews


Visit Warner Brothers' Official Site to watch the trailer:
http://warnervideo.com/deliverancedvd/


The new DVD of James Dickey's "Deliverance," issued on September 18, is getting very good press. A few examples are below:

Jon Voight on making Deliverance review | Film Reviews - Times Online
A thoughtful interview from the London Times.

CHUD.com - Cinematic Happenings Under Development
This interesting review is by a writer who was born the year "Deliverance" hit the screen.

Deliverance - Trailer - Showtimes - Cast - Movies - New York Times
A positive notice in The New York Times, along with the trailer.

Deliverance - Movie - Review - New York Times
A very negative review of the movie from Vincent Canby in 1972. Apparently he just didn't get it. And, as usual, he attributed to James Dickey some of the execrable cliches interpolated in the script by John Boorman.

New on DVD: USATODAY.com
A useful little blurb.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:56 AM

    Mr. Dickey,

    Thank you for being one part of what made the documentaries on the new "Deliverance" DVDs maintain the standard that Warner Bros. has always sought for its classic titles as well as whatever MGM films it owns which this month is that Mickey Rooney/Judy Garland set.

    I just finished writing a review of the film and DVD, as a first-time viewer, for The Signal, the exclusive newspaper of the Santa Clarita Valley in Southern California. And in a way, "Deliverance" is delivering me elsewhere. After this week and after my review appears along with whatever else is planned, The Signal's weekend section, Escape, is jettisoning the old design in favor of a new one, headed by John Boston, a legend at the paper, whose worked for damn near every section the paper has, and has won 117 writing awards throughout his entire career.

    With this new Escape section, I get a brand-new mug shot for my reviews and I am now part of the "Santa Clarita Valley Society of Insufferable Film Critics," as John plans to call the section, as he did in 1993 when he previously ran Escape, and I've been studying those old reviews too.

    This is indeed a time of change for me, a time I didn't expect so quickly, the thought of finally being considered an official film critic for The Signal by John Boston's blessing and mentoring. What better mentor to have? He's as batty about old movies as I am.

    Amazing that I go from seeing "Deliverance" for the first time to a new first time in trying to reinvent myself as a somewhat irreverent film critic. I do believe that I saved the best film for last in my reviews for the old Escape section. It worked out well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Rory. I read your review and, of course, greatly enjoyed it. Looking forward to seeing more. All the best, Chris

    ReplyDelete